Saturday, March 26, 2011

Van Gogh Museum

I was extremely tired by the time I fronted up to the Van Gogh Museum at 6.00pm on Friday night. The Museum is open until 10.00pm on Fridays and it sure was jumping. There is a special Picasso exhibition on at the moment - he is not one of my favourites, I have to confess, so I skipped him. There are four floors of Van Gogh paintings and drawings as well as paintings by his contemporaries and influences. He painted an amazing 800 paintings, over 100 drawings and sketches in a short painting life - he was just 35 when he suicided. The story of his life and work is tragic as the story of genius so often is. My favourite paintings were of course the daisies and a collection of spring blossom paintings which were just beautiful. We had fun in the fabulous museum shop afterwards.
Tomorrow we join the cruise in the afternoon. We were planning a Delft DOK visit but I am so tired and leg weary that I am going to stay in the city and visit the Riksmuseum where the art of the Dutch masters presides and have an easy day.

No comments: